Sunday, January 11, 2015

The Big Question

Sorry, I have been MIA for the last few weeks, as I wrote in my last blog I traveled home to Scotland for the holidays. I wanted to be present in every moment and adventure we had so I did not look or think about what was happening in the blogging world, but now I am back. 


The typical New Years excitement of fresh starts along with leaving the sweetness and the sorrows of the past year behind has been rolling around in my head the last few days. I don't personally make 'new years resolutions' but this year my husband and I made a list of goals we would like to attain by the end of the year. Some are set to challenge us physically, stretch us financially, strengthen our marriage and to build our faith. You can help keep us accountable, here a just a few of ours (some I have kept private):

- Learn to pray together & do it every day
- Be debt free
- Saved a substantial amount (we have a specific amount but I'll keep that private)
- The ever so popular: Be in better shape
- Vacation in Italy

We were both challenged this last Sunday when we visited a church (listen to it here Central) with my family and the pastor did his typical 'new years resolution' sermon. He talked about instead of making it all about ourselves and what we want out of this coming year, what would happen if we actually spent some time communing with the Father and asking him what he wants for us in this year? He opened with the whole idea of the Lords prayer and that Jesus taught the disciples to start a prayer with Father. God is often put in an unapproachable box where we often think, "Hmmm... I can't go to Him and ask for this or that," so we try to do it alone instead. But what if we actually began to break down those walls and have an intimate relationship with the Father? How different our lives would be as well as extending to our community. God is our dad, and don't we ask our dads for the things we need without hesitation, or go to him when we need advice, guidance or simple love. Why would we not want to have that with our Father?

This message really helped me realign what I truly want from this life and how important it is to seek first the kingdom of God and not be all about me. So in 2015 I want to see and do what the Father wants my husband and I
to do. We simply lost sight of what He was doing last year in the whirlwind of us getting married and what that looked like to do life together. This year we want to learn as a couple to have that intimate relationship with Him together and ask what it is that He wants for us this year. 
Happy New Year my friends.

No comments :

Post a Comment