Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Suck it up or Suck it in

Working out - you either love it or you just don't do it!


Since I was a little girl I have loved playing sports. My mum used to say "Anything with a ball, Gemma wants to play it," and I did. I played football (soccer), basketball, field hockey, ice hockey, you name it, and I most likely played it at a team level or just for fun. If you haven't figured it out by now I was tomboy, which I am weirdly proud of. My body has evidence of my tomboy years with scars from playing football in the streets with all the neighborhood boys. I wasn't scared of them and would do whatever it took to win.

In my adult life I have struggled with being active because I HATE running (although I do attempt a run here and there) and the gym is a nightmare. Finally, about 8 months ago a friend of mine told me about her gym, a small independent MMA gym called the Bear Pit, intimidating name right? They had a Groupon deal for 2 months for $25, and it was 2 months exactly til my wedding so duh! of course I am going to get in the best shape of my life to impress my soon to be hubby. Well I fell in love with the coaches, family feel and kick ass workouts. Here is a snapshot into a one hour class:

 Warm up
5 minute run
Countdowns: 10 jumping jacks, 10 squats, 10 push ups, 10 sit ups...then 9 of each, then 8, etc til you get to 0.

Boxing
15 minutes of 2 minute rounds of different combinations with 30 seconds of squat jumps or toe taps or something that keeps you moving

Abs
6 different abs,  2 minutes per exercise, for example:
2 min Plank
2 min Toe Tap Crunches
2 min Ab Twists
2 min Leg Hold
2 min Fish Tails
2 min Plank Hops

Now for the main event, the real workout portion. Generally strength training, cardio, or circuit training for about 20 minutes then we stretch!!


We leave flowing rivers of sweat, feeling satisfied to have made it through and at the same time more relaxed and ready to take on the world. My husband and I LOVE it! We tell all our friends about it (and now you) and I get really upset when I have to miss a day for whatever reason. My husband thinks I am crazy but it is how I get out all my stress, anxiety etc.
 

All that to be said, being healthy is really important to me. My mum is a dietician and whether I wanted it at the time or not, our family was raised on a well balanced diet with the occasional treats and cheats, along with an emphasis on exercise. My mum and sisters are runners and my dad and I are the team sports players. No I didn't just eat salads. Yes I ate pizza, cookies and all those yummy things but that is where the balance is a factor. Surprisingly our bodies crave those things because we need the sugar or the bad fat but all in moderation. I love that now I am older I don't have to learn how to eat the right way but that it is engrained in me. Thanks mum!!!

If you need to get into a better habit of eating, I use myfitnesspal, you set your weight goal and track your daily food. It is amazing how quickly you change your eating habits once you become aware of calories and the ingredients you are ingesting. It all begins with you food then add in fitness!!

 So here is to living healthier lives.



No comments :

Post a Comment