Saturday, November 1, 2014

Roo's

I am so happy that I got to have my girly roommate years before entering married life. I lived in a spacious two bedroom apartment in downtown Yorba Linda with two of my favourite people for five years. Not only did we have so much fun but we came out of it better friends than ever, which we had only been warned that living with friends does not always end well.

We were 21, 22, and 23 years old when we decided to step out on our own into the big bad world,  I had already moved countries but was living comfortably with a family and now I was really doing it independently. Finding a sweet little two bedroom in Yorba Linda thanks to friends who lived in the neighboring one bedroom, we began our new lives together. We combined our styles and furnished the place with much thanks to Christine's grandma who had many hidden treasures in her garage, figured out each others schedules so we all could get in the bathroom in the morning, navigated who's food was who's in the fridge, and discovered new bonding activities like watching F.R.I.E.N.D.S., painting our nails, drinking margaritas and our obsession with the Christmas season. You think that living together would mean seeing each other all the time, well we quickly noticed that wasn't true, someone was either at school, at work, on a date, running errands, at homegroup or out with another friend. That's when our tradition of roomie breakfasts started. We would make a huge delicious breakfast with eggs, potatoes, sometimes german pancakes or waffles, fruit, mimosas and of course coffee and catch up on life's dramas and happenings. Now that two of us are married and the other is on her way we try to continue that tradition or get together for a pow wow now and again.

The three of us became so integrated into each others lives being a part of the really awesome highs and the deep painful lows. It was not always easy but we quickly learned how important communication and confrontation was for a healthy friendship and home. Where each of us could have ended up without the crucial advice that was given or the words of encouragement to risk baffles me. If it happened to one of us it basically happened to all of us.

I am really thankful that I get to have all our fun crazy memories of camping trips, all of us squishing in to the bathroom to get ready for church, coming home late after the most wonderful date and telling them about it, borrowing each others clothes, parties and so much more. More importantly I  learned so many life lessons like how to manage my money, what it looked like to adapt to living with someone else, respecting others stuff, how to care for someone in hard times and even learning from their mistakes. You just can't learn that on your own.

I love looking back on photos and reminiscing! The horror of some of our fashion choices, hair styles, the late night donut runs, old cell phone videos of us dancing or singing together, the hours of  crying to sad romantic movies, and so so many more wonderful hilarious memories. I love you girls, I am so thankful for those years, I miss them!!

Roo's for life.






No comments :

Post a Comment