Wednesday, October 1, 2014

The High Sierras

(Cottonon: Trousers / Forever21: Sweatshirt, Beanie & Sunnies / Urbanoutfitters: 5 panel 
 H&M: Denim shirt / Minnetonka: Moccosains)

The High Sierras hold a very special place in our lives. The Sierras is where my husband grew up camping and fishing with his family, and it is also where my wonderful husband asked me to marry him in the middle of Tuolumne Meadows on a bridge over a creek (that I nearly fell off of while in shock and excitment). The Sierras never disappoint us with it's breathe taking mountain ranges, unpredictable weather patterns, peaceful fishing excursions and friendly locals.


We just returned from a short family vacation up to June Lake to celebrate my step father in-law's 60th birthday. A three day weekend was too short but oh so worth it. We stayed in a cabin that had an extraordinary view of the mountains that included two waterfalls. I soaked in that majestic view every morning while sipping on my morning ritual coffee and scrumptious breakfast. What a way to start my day off, right? Our feet were itching to get out the door and into the wilderness, so we got dressed quickly, layering on cozy clothes as a storm was rolling in that day, we were expecting thunder and rain. We packed the Osprey pack with essentials and piled into the car to head over to Lundy Lake. It was a fairly easy hike up rocks, through the woods and across marshes, you know, just a normal everyday hike (hee-hee). At the highest point of the trail we stood on the cliffs edge taking in the beautiful waterfalls below when low and behold it started to snow, it was magical! We pushed on having fun walking across logs and beaver dams. We hit the end of the trail and turned back luckily before the storm started to roll in. As it started to down pour on our way home we decided what better thing to do in the rain than to stop in at a local coffee house, Latte Da, for a quick pick me up. It was so cute, pumpkins lined the steps up to a porch swing, inside a few tables circled around a fireplace with board games and old books. My husband and I snuck outside to sit on the porch swing, sipping our hot beverages and sharing a giant chocolate chip cookie while it poured rain. It was a little piece of heaven.


Monday came too fast but we had planned to take off in the morning to do some fishing before we headed home. First stop was Lake Ellery, probably my favourite lake up there (of what I have seen so far), it is so peaceful as you look out on to the still lake and your eyes pan across the beautiful snow dusted mountains that surround it. I am new to fishing, but I can do everything except tie a leader line, touch the fish, and gut the fish (basically I can cast and reel in ha). I enjoy fishing but since it's more work for my husband to help me every five seconds, I decided to sit this trip out and watch him fish his heart out. It brings me so much joy seeing him bright eyed with an extra bounce in his step, the Sierras are truly his happy place. We often turn to one another, somewhat jokingly saying  "We should move here?", and without hesitation the response is always the same "okay" followed by a gentle I wish smile. Our hearts were content taking in the gloriousness of the mountains that surrounded us but time never stands still when you want it most, time to pack up and get moving.


We had one last stop, Schat's Bakery in Bishop. It has the most amazing bread and all sorts of yumminess. We quickly stock piled as much bread and sweets that are arms could hold, grabbing some garlic cheese bread, cinnamon swirl bread, peach rings, two sandwiches, and two donuts (don't judge us) along side another loaf of chill cheese bread for my best friend, and alas, hit the road home.


 
Til next time Sierras! Which will potentially be very soon.








No comments :

Post a Comment